Mr. DeMuro joined the firm in 1996, after practicing in New Mexico for three years. Mr. DeMuro has spent all 22 years of his practice in litigation and trial work. Mr. DeMuro has tried cases, and argued appeals, in state and federal trial and appellate courts, civil and criminal, across the country. Mr. DeMuro has litigated before public securities arbitration panels, most major private arbitration tribunals in the United States and the London Court of International Arbitration.
Mr. DeMuro litigates, and provides litigation advisory services, in: oil and gas, banking, securities, construction, intellectual property, unfair competition, civil rights, employment, serious personal injury cases, and class action cases for both plaintiffs and defendants.
Mr. DeMuro also defends accused citizens in criminal cases in state and federal court. Mr. DeMuro served as the CJA Panel Representative for the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma from 2012 through 2016, representing indigent citizens accused of federal crimes.
Since 2010, Mr. DeMuro has served as an Adjunct Settlement Judge for the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma in the Court's mandatory settlement conference program.
Mr. DeMuro graduated second in his class from the University of New Mexico School of Law, where he served as the Notes Editor for the UNM Law Review, was elected to the Order of the Coif, and received the Julia Raymond McCulloch Constitutional Law Award, among other honors. Mr. DeMuro graduated from Princeton University, where he played varsity football.
- Obtained defense verdict, after two week federal jury trial, for energy company alleged to have given insufficient consideration to minority shareholders in cash out merger. Plaintiffs sought $48 million, jury awarded zero.
- Obtained substantial plaintiff's verdict in wrongful arrest case against municipality after state court jury trial, with jury awarding 100% of requested damages.
- Successfully defended regional broker-dealer firm against unsuitability and fraud claims by municipality. After two week FINRA arbitration hearing, claimant's $5 million claims denied and fees awarded in favor of broker-dealer.
- Obtained multi-million dollar judgment for oil and gas producer following a four week jury trial in gas purchase contract dispute in Oklahoma state court; obtained multi-million dollar settlement in related cases after the verdict.
- With other co-counsel in federal class action against Oklahoma's Department of Human Services, achieved landmark reform of Oklahoma's child welfare agency.
- Obtained release from prison, and vacated convictions, for wrongfully convicted citizen arising from police corruption scandal in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- Successfully defended numerous targets before Oklahoma's Multicounty Grand Jury, avoiding all charges.
- Represented accused citizens in jury trials and federal sentencings for variety of alleged crimes, including murder, felony assault, tax evasion, weapons charges, fraud, drug cases and others.
- Obtained injunctive relief in several broker transition cases; obtained award from a FINRA arbitration panel on behalf of regional retail brokerage firm for substantial compensatory and punitive damages against Wall Street brokerage firm for unfair competition and broker recruitment.
- Obtained multi-million dollar settlement for senior-living community developer, following five week jury trial, in construction defect litigation in San Diego, California, involving water-infiltration in high-rise residential building.
- Obtained multi-million dollar settlement for developer against general contractor, subcontractors and professionals for multiple construction defects in residential retirement community in Orange County, California.
- Co-lead counsel in action obtaining multi-million dollar settlement for software developer in trademark and copyright infringement action in federal court against national flight simulation firm.
- Obtained substantial judgment, following jury trial, in trade secrets action between competing regional petrochemical lubricant distributors.
- In bad faith insurance case, obtained multi-million dollar settlement for oil and gas producer against insurer that refused to cover losses arising from a sub-surface blow out of gas well in Cameron Parish, Louisiana.
- Obtained multi-million judgment for internet-based affinity banking company for breach of development contract in arbitration against national Washington, D.C.-based lobbying group.
- Represented group of concerned citizens in Open Meetings Act case against the Tulsa City Council, leading to heightened scrutiny and awareness of open meeting act in municipal government.
- Achieved settlement against Oklahoma DHS in "Precious Doe" case resulting in new policies adopted by Oklahoma's Department of Corrections, DHS, and OU Medical Center for placement of babies born to incarcerated mothers.
- Obtained injunctive order freezing assets of executive director of non-profit foundation accused of embezzling foundation funds. Led to seven-figure summary judgment on behalf of foundation.
- Obtained substantial personal injury settlement for grievously injured electrical burn victim against utility company.
- Obtained substantial judgment, following two federal jury trials, for man injured while attempting to aid store security guard for national box-store retailer restraining a shoplifter.
- Obtained substantial settlement for female financial advisor for gender discrimination against a Wall Street financial services firm, after defeating summary judgment, with Court finding evidence of disparate treatment in firm's reaction to financial advisor's trading patterns.
Construction Contracting & Disputes
Oil and Gas Law
University of New Mexico (J.D., 1993 magna cum laude); Princeton University (B.A., 1987)
Admitted to Practice
1997, Oklahoma 1993, New Mexico
Memberships and Activities
- Adjunct Settlement Judge, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma (January 2010 to present)
- CJA Panel Representative for U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma (January 2012 to 2016)
- AV Preeminent Rated Martindale-Hubble
- Oklahoma Super Lawyer (2008 through 2013)
- American Bar Association, Member
- Tulsa County Bar Association, Litigation Section Member
- American Association of Trial Lawyers, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Council Oak/Johnson Sontag Inns of Court
Publications and Selected Media Coverage