Piper W. Turner devotes a substantial portion of her practice to advising financial institutions on regulatory matters and defending financial institutions in individual and class action lawsuits and in government enforcement actions. Mrs. Turner specializes in counseling clients in regulatory, supervisory, and enforcement matters involving the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (“CFPB”). She has a thorough understanding of consumer protection laws, including fair lending, compliance management, UDAAP, complaint processing, and vendor management.
Understanding not only the legal environment in which her clients operate, but also her clients' business concerns guides Mrs. Turner as she assists her clients in navigating the current complicated regulatory environment. Mrs. Turner’s compliance practice includes:
- Developing policies and procedures to reflect legal compliance requirements and best business practices.
- Assisting banks to properly implement the new CFPB regulations, especially the rules related to ability to repay, qualified mortgages, and servicing.
- Advising clients involved in the debt service industry with compliance and enforcement matters.
- Assisting clients to modify products, practices, or disclosures that pose a risk of exposing the client to class action litigation.
- Advising clients on matters pursuant to RESPA, TILA, FCRA, FDCPA, CFPA, TCPA, Telemarketing Sales Rule, and False Claims Act.
- Analyzing matters pertaining to residential mortgage lending and servicing.
- Structuring and developing compliance training programs.
- Providing legal opinions re business modifications to reduce risks of regulatory enforcement and/or litigation by private citizens
- Assisting clients with CFPB and the OCC exam.
- Investigating and responding to consumer complaints.
- Counseling clients on payday lending and direct deposit advance lending.
Mrs. Turner also enjoys trial work, especially discovery and brief writing. Her litigation focus is on pursuing relief for victims of electrical injuries or chemical burns and on defending financial institutions. Mrs. Turner represents both plaintiffs and defendants in federal and in state court. She has successfully defended class actions and individual suits, including claims under RESPA, TILA, TCPA, UCC, and CFPA. Careful analysis of complex legal issues and thorough review of the facts enable Mrs. Turner to obtain exceptional results for her clients.
Prior to joining Frederic Dorwart, Lawyers PLLC, Mrs. Turner was an associated in the corporate and finance departments of Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP. She received her J.D., with honors, from the University of Oklahoma in 1995. Mrs. Turner was a member of the Oklahoma Law Review, publishing a note and serving as Research Editor. Additionally, she was the recipient of the Vivian McConnell Hood Scholarship as well as the Baker, Hoster, McSpadden, Clark, Rasure & Slicker Scholarship both for academic excellence. Mrs. Turner received dual Bachelor of Art degrees in English and Theatre from the University of Southern California.